If your mattress has lost the comfort that it used to provide or is unable to come up with optimal support then it’s time to revamp the bedding with a mattress topper. Packed with several benefits, a premium quality topper holds the ability transform saggy mattresses into a perfect one leading to a restful and long night’s sleep.
And the best part is that they don’t cost as much as a brand new mattress, so this means by having them you can not only save yourself from unwanted expenses but even protect the existing one from further wear and tear.
What is Foam Mattress Topper?
Foam mattress topper is a polyutherane based topper utilized as an extension of the mattress. On an average, they measure about 2-5 inches thick and are meant for offering cushiony softness and an add layer of comfort. These toppers tend to mould according to the body of the sleeper, so as to come up with ultimate comfort, supporting the pressure points in order to banish body pains or aches. As stated before, foam toppers can ignite a new life in old mattress as well.
They are manufactured in an array of sizes, thickness and density; ensuring you are able to unleash the one that fits your bed. Besides that, certain companies come up with standalone toppers that are meant for those who want to fine tune only a particular side of their mattress.
For instance, if you need more cushioning while your partner is happy with the present firmness then you can consider placing a foam topper on your side, while the other side (where your partner sleeps) will remain as it is.
Foam Mattress Topper Reviews
1. Geo-Incline Foam Mattress Topper Size: Queen
The Geo-Incline foam mattress topper is a ventilated and supportive product, manufactured by one of the most credible companies of the industry- Beautyrest.
Being about two-inch thick, this topper is equipped with exceptional quality foam, leaving it with a soft and comfy feel. Even when you drift at night, the topper supports alignment of postures and reduces pressure on the sensitive areas of the body.
Despite being a foam mattress, it minimizes retention of heat significantly due to the presence of large air rings throughout the surface of the topper.
Some of the key points that you must consider are:
- Incredible Support: The topper basically elevates the upper portion of the body and because of this the acids present in the stomach do not come back to the throat, allowing you to sleep properly without any discomfort. In addition to that, it relives pressure on the back, at the near area and other pressure points of the human body.
- Breathable Air-Ring Design: A common problem seen in case of foam mattress is heat retention. To overcome this, the Geo-Incline topper is embedded with ring-of-air which is nothing but ventilated holes present across the surface. This promotes circulation of air and distributes uniformly temperature.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: The topper is available along with a manufacturer warranty for a period of 3 years and this covers most of the issues including manufacturing defects so that you will never have to compromise with the quality of the topper.
2. Serene Foam Queen Size 3 Inch Thick, Advanced Supportive Air Technology Mattress Bed Topper
Say hello to the foam of next generation from the house of Carpenter- Serene Foam. Engineered to perfection, this foam is devised to address the major sleeping complications of the people so that they are able to reap maximum benefits from their topper but without having to spend too much for the same.
This 3-inch thick mattress topper has acquired PURGreen Certification and this means there are no form of harmful, ozone depleting or other hazardous compounds used in the process of manufacturing.
The amazing features of this one of a kind foam mattress topper are:
- Serene Foam for amazing support: What’s interesting about this product is the innovative Serene foam which happens to be the parent technology of the brand. This form makes the mattress cooler, comfortable, supportive, restful and it conforms to the different parts of the body supporting natural curves and alignment.
- Supportive Air Technology: The Serene Foam incorporates millions of tiny air capsules that release air independently and act as a form of shock absorber. With this not only are they able to reduce pressure gently on the lower portion of the body but even maintain the surface temperature at an optimal level so that it does not become too hot.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: If the topper does not arrive the way you had expected then you can take advantage of the three years limited warranty period that covers most of the complications associated with the product.
3. Geneva Healthcare Egg Crate Convoluted Foam Mattress Pad 3″ Topper
Made in USA by Geneva Healthcare, this egg crate convoluted foam mattress topper ticks the boxes in terms of durability, comfort and support. The 3-inch thick topper is an apt choice, especially if you want to get over the dips and lumps of your current mattress, plus there are size options to choose from too.Best part is that the toppers that are manufactured by Geneva are formed from a combination of soy-based additives along with polyol extracted from renewable oils of plants so as to decrease the amount of petroleum product involved in the process of manufacturing.
Best part is that the toppers that are manufactured by Geneva are formed from a combination of soy-based additives along with polyol extracted from renewable oils of plants so as to decrease the amount of petroleum product involved in the process of manufacturing.
The Geneva Healthcare foams are certified by CertiPUR-US and this indicates low VOCs and absence of toxic compounds in the mattress topper.
Some of the important characteristics of Geneva Healthcare egg crate mattress topper that you need to look after are:
- Eco-friendly Foam: The topper has a density of almost 1.5 and utilizes almost 60% less fossil fuels compared to other brands. This is possible only because of the mixture of plant-based ingredients that goes into the making of the topper.
- Therapeutic Comfort: The topper is designed by the professionals of Geneva Healthcare to aid quality sleep with maximum comfort. The topper improves blood circulation by distributing the weight evenly from toe to head, while the cushion peaks are meant to increase comfort, while preventing pressure sores, decubitus ulcers and stress on pressure points.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: To help you purchase the topper with confidence, the manufacturer offers 3 years limited warranty and this itself indicates the quality that you can expect from them.
4. Continental Sleep High-Density Foam Mattress Topper, Full
The Continental Sleep High-Density Foam Mattress topper is an excellent option that brings a beautiful balance of support with luxurious comfort. And if you are keen on improving the lifespan of your present topper than you should make this part of your list.
If you suffer from dust or microbial allergies and want something that would act as a protective barrier then this foam mattress topper can do the trick. Because it resistant to bacteria, mold and fungal build and can be maintained easily without too much fuss.
The primary features of Continental Sleep high density foam mattress topper are:
- Scientifically engineered: This topper is scientifically engineered by the developers of Continental sleep emphasizing on the needs of the sleeper and the role that their bedding plays in achieving them. This is typically a soft foam that feels fluffy and comfortable to sleep on and that too without any strong chemical odor.
- Orthopedic Support: Most of the people often complain about back ache or body pain after sleeping on mattress. A major reason behind this is that mattress are not able to relieve pressure on the lower portion of the body and this increases stress on those areas. This is why Continental Sleep has designed its topper for optimal orthopedic support so that proper alignment of the body is maintained.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: If you find certain issues with the mattress topper within a period of 3 years then you can take advantage of its limited manufacturer warranty that allows you to make the most of your purchase.
5. Alveo Standard Foam Mattress Topper
Alveo is brand that emerges to be one of the finest names in the bedding industry. Their foam mattress topper is no exception. Built on standard foam, this topper adds to the support and comfort level of the mattress and boosts quality sleep in seconds. Plus, it is a flexible option that adapts to any weight, sleeping positions and style of resting.
Plus, it is a flexible option that adapts to any weight, sleeping positions and style of resting.
The key features of this two-inch thick foam mattress topper are:
- Add-on Foam For All Beds: This is a standard foam topper that is designed for any bed and is available in various size options such as twin, king, queen and full. Like most of the topper, this can be placed on your mattress to increase its effectiveness and protect it from frequent wear and tear.
- Superior Support: The topper is well-ventilated and conforms to the posture of your body. This means it can be a great pick for stomach sleepers, side sleepers or back sleepers and the best thing is that the user will not experience any pressure on the various parts of their body and this leads to a sound and healthy sleep cycle.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: If the topper is damaged or not able to serve its purpose the 3 years limited warranty can come your rescue. With this professionals will address the problems without any additional charges.
6. Room Essentials Foam Mattress Topper
Room Essentials provides customized foam mattress topper that is textured to meet the needs of your mattress. It is hypoallergenic and can be wash and dryer safe, which means maintaining the product is going to be a cakewalk. The topper is crafted from 100% polyutherane, as a result of which you can enjoy a clam and relaxing sleep for 7 long hours and more.
The amazing features of this Room Essentials foam mattress topper are:
- Gel-infused Foam: The foam is infused with a special gel that is meant to promote airflow and regulate temperature on the surface. This keeps the topper cool no matter what your body temperature might be.
- Five Zones Customized Support: A unique property of this foam topper is the five zones customized support that is designed to reduce stress on the pressure prone points of the body and support the sensitive areas such as the neck region, shoulders, hips and the back.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: Like most of the foam mattress topper even this one comes with a limited warranty for a period of 3 years. Any issues with the product that occur during this period will be handled by the manufacturer.
7. Sleep Better 1.5-Inch Isotonic Serene Foam Slab Mattress Topper
With the introduction of innumerable advance foam toppers, the search for the best is turning out to be as difficult as it can get. To help you simplify this search, Sleep Better topper is enriched with the patent Serene and Isotonic toppers that are a signature trademark of Carpenters Co. so that you are able to take a better decision.
The topper is 1.5-inch thick made in the USA and is packed with features at a galore, some of them are:
- Serene + Isotonic: The foam mattress topper promotes the best of Serene and Isotonic technology, where Serene is meant to relieve pressure and stress on the various regions of the body, while Isotonic lets you sleep on a cooler and comfy surface.
- High Performing Topper: Due to its composition and density, the topper eliminates motion transfer and delivers exceptional support so that you wake up energized and fresh. It is backed by a microfiber cover that has a stretch-to-fit body and fits the topper seamlessly without any complications.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: The mattress topper is backed by a manufacturer warranty for a period of 3 years.
8. Beautyrest 3.5″ Geo-matt Foam Topper, Multiple Sizes (Twin)
For those who are hunting for a high-quality foam mattress topper at affordable value, the Geo-matt by Beautyrest can turn to be a good choice. Structured with the resilient PU foam, this topper allows you to sleep any way you want and that too with extreme comfort and much-needed cushioning. No matter how much you use it, the foam springs back to its original shape, as a result of which it holds its shape for years to come.
The one of a kind features of this Beautyrest Geo-Matt 3.5-inch thick mattress are:
- Resilient Polyutherane Foam: The mattress topper is crafted from 100% polyutherane foam and this is something that gives it its strength and durability. Place it on the top of the mattress and you will realize that the surface has been transformed into a welcoming and comfy bed for good sleep.
- Ring of Air Design: The ring of air design found in the toppers regulates airflow as a result of which the body heat is evenly distributed throughout the surface. This keeps the topper cool and let you cherish cool and supportive bed.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: Most of the problems that might happen to the foam mattress topper are backed by three years of limited manufacturer warranty.
Pros and Cons of Foam Mattress Topper
Like most of the mattress toppers, even foam mattress toppers have their own set of pros and cons. Understanding about these positives & negatives will help you know more about foam mattress toppers ensuring you are able to take an informed decision when it comes to buying them.
Pros of Foam Mattress Topper
There are five popular pros placing foam mattress toppers on the top of your existing mattress and these are:
1. Protects Against Three Mattress Evils
Foam mattress toppers have the ability to protect your mattress from three evils that deteriorate the quality of mattress with time:
Bacteria and Dead Skin: Having bacteria or dead skin is inevitable as they are often seen in on the closet layer of the body but when you sleep on a mattress these get transferred to them and start breeding. However, in case of a topper you can avoid the contact of dead skin or bacteria with the mattress ensuring their quality is restored. Further, foam mattress toppers are offered along with removable covers that can be washed and dried to remove the unwanted debris, dust or microbes.
Body Perspiration: Your body releases moisture either through breathing, sweat or other forms of fluid. Now, when you sleep on the bed then get absorbed by the bedding and ultimately reach the core of the mattress. This is where foam mattress topper have a major role to play. Since they are equipped with maximum ventilation they reduce the scope of body perspiration, plus act as form of barrier as well.
Undue indentations and settlement: It is undeniable that mattresses do compress with time. When you have a topper you can make sure that this time taken is much more compared to the average lifespan of your mattress. Moreover, the topper can be replaced from time to time and this will add up to the durability of the mattress too.
2. Additional Layer of Comfort
The right foam mattress topper provides an additional layer of comfort and this only amplifies the features of your existing mattress, allowing you to sleep on relaxing and rejuvenating bed. In addition to that, it balances the weight of your body beautifully and thus sleeping on it almost feels like your are floating on the clouds.
Unlike mattress, toppers do not compress too much and support the curves of your body maintaining a natural alignment with the spine and the neck.
3. Well- Fitted Design
You can just tuck them in or place them at the top of the mattress and witness the difference that they can bring. Their simple design and lightweight structure makes it an easy to handle bedding component that can be cleaned, maintained and repaired with minimal hassles.
In fact, foam mattress toppers are even warranted by manufacturers so that any defects during the specified period can be covered by them.
4. Stain Resistant
Polyutherane that makes up a large portion of foam mattress topper not only has strong resistant against moisture but stains too. This means if you will no longer have to worry about the spills of tea, coffee or soft drinks on the bed, as the topper can be cleaned immediately and most importantly these are not going to reach the mattress.
5. Topper Protector Covers
Considering the increasing demand and benefits of foam mattress toppers, most of the manufacturers offer a combination of both the topper along with a well-fitted cover ensuring that it is able to provide its best for a long period of time. If the mattress topper that you choose does not come with a cover then you can consider purchasing them separately according to the dimensions of the topper.
Do focus on the ingredients of the topper before buying them, as just like the toppers protect your mattress, covers can be a great way to preserve the beauty of foam mattress toppers.
Cons of Foam Mattress Topper
It’s true that there can be a few cons of relying on foam mattress toppers, but majority of them can be tackled with simple and easy steps. Some of the cons are mentioned below:
1. Heavy Weight
The heavy weight of mattress topper can be quite a problem, especially when you pick the wrong density. Because in such cases bulkiness and weight of the topper gets in way of its mobility. To avoid such circumstances make sure that you choose the density of the mattress wisely and that too according to your preferences and needs of the body.
2. The Initial Odor
Typically, most of the new products that you buy have a distinct smell associated with them and the same is even seen in case of foam mattress toppers. This odor diffuses in a matter of 72 hours and this is the reason why it is always advised to air the topper for at least a certain period before using them.
The specific period varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, for some it can be as less as 24 hours while for others it can get over a week. So, if you are someone with a sensitive nose then focus on the ingredients that are utilized for manufacturing the topper and then take an informed decision.
3. Difficulty in Finding Right Fit
Foam mattress toppers are designed with several sizes, as a result of which it can be troublesome to find the ideal match for your mattress. This at times results to poor fit and even affects your sleep. To overcome this measure the dimensions of your existing mattress and then choose your options as per that.
Foam Mattress Topper Buying Guide
One of the most important reasons to invest on a high-quality foam mattress topper is to enhance your bed and simultaneously improve the quality of your sleep. Replacing the existing mattress can be an expensive thing to do, hence toppers are an incredible way to change the style or revitalize your bed within the restricted budget.
With proper research, the perfect foam mattress topper that you choose will provide the support and comfort that you need. But for doing this, there are certain key points that must be taken into consideration and these are:
1. Extra Support
If the idea behind having a mattress topper is to give an added layer of support to the back and neck area then its best to focus on those brands that specialize in the same. This is because they are certain foam mattress toppers that are designed for superior orthopedic care and might turn out to be a suitable option for you.
On the other hand, if you need an improved mattress with a bit of support then choose the topper according to the your body weight and the way you sleep.
2. Softness and Comfort
People often tend to measure comfort and support on same parameters, however when selecting toppers do realize that they are two different things. Even if you have the best support, yet the topper lacks essential cushioning or softness then you will never be able to sleep on it properly. Therefore, pay attention towards support and the comfort of the topper by knowing more about their composition and how soft the materials are.
Back Sleepers: Medium support is ideal for back sleeper so that it provides appropriate distribution of weight.
Front Sleepers: The soft support toppers are meant for front sleepers as they provide more comfort allowing them to cradle and contour the sensitive regions of the body.
Side Sleepers: The firm toppers are great for side sleepers most for those who suffer from body ache or back pain.
Side and Back Sleepers: Again if you sleep both on your back and sides then firm mattress toppers can do the trick as they will keep the spine aligned and promote better posture.
3. Density and Thickness Options
Foam mattress toppers fall in the range of 2-5 inches thick, and when the aim is to revitalize an old mattress, if you sleep on one side or weigh more then you probably need to count on thicker options. Not just thickness but the density of the mattress topper is equally important.
4. Eliminating Transfer of Motion
Foam mattress topper is able to eliminate transfer of motion and this allows you to toss and turn without having to disrupt your sleep. If you sleep with your pet or partner who often keeps you awake then you must consider the ability of topper to reduce transfer of movement. Those that are made up of 100% polyutherane are able to hinder movement in a much better way compared to other counterparts.
However, this ultimately turns down the preferences that you have and the intensity of movements. Now, if the toss and tons are minimal then even a 2-inch thick topper will be able to eliminate them, but in case of frequent movements and that too by heavy persons will require support of a well-structured foam mattress topper.
There foam mattress toppers that are able to handle allergens effectively and this is due to their resistant against dust, pollen, debris and moisture. Still, if you are allergic to a specific compound or material then it is advised to check the list of ingredients beforehand and then make your choice wisely. There are certain options that are treated in order to enhance the abilities of the foam toppers and to get rid of unwanted allergens.
6. Body Heat
As believed by most of the people, foam tends to retain most of the body heat. However, to avoid this toppers are enabled with air holes and infused-gel that regulate circulation of air and keep the surface cool allowing heat to escape easily. However, if retention of heat is your concern then you should look for those foam mattress toppers that combine the power of advance technology to get rid of unwanted heat and maintain comfortable temperature throughout your sleep.
The standard warranty of foam mattress toppers is 3 years and this can even be as short as one year too. While considering the warranty, make a note of the terms and conditions mentioned by the manufacturer, focusing on what kind of defects are covered by them and whether these are satisfactory or not.
8. Ease of Moving And Cleaning
At last, don’t forget to consider the mobility and maintenance of the topper, as you have to move the packaging till your bed to place them. Therefore, do be aware of the weight of the topper that you choose. Foam mattress toppers are easy to move compared to memory foam and those with high resistance against moisture, stain and dust can be cleaned easily too.