Wool Mattress Topper Reviews
Often it is seen that people consider mattress toppers and mattress pads to be the same thing, though both are placed on the top of your existing mattress, yet they do differ from one another significantly. Pads are usually used for providing protection to the mattress, but toppers on the other hand not only preserve the lifespan of your mattress but enhance support and comfort too. Therefore, though wool mattress toppers and pads may look alike, they are equipped with distinct specifications.
Let’s know more about what wool mattress toppers exactly are and how can they be beneficial in achieving a perfect and comfy sleeping surface!
What is Wool Mattress Topper?Wool mattress topper is a common form of topper that is made from fleece, wool blends or alpaca wool. These are basically designed using natural resources instead of synthetics as a result of which the ability to cause allergies is relatively low and this is mainly due to the wondrous properties of the ingredients that
Wool mattress topper is a common form of topper that is made from fleece, wool blends or alpaca wool. These are basically designed using natural resources instead of synthetics as a result of which the ability to cause allergies is relatively low and this is mainly due to the wondrous properties of the ingredients that goes into their making. This further gains an advantage of preventing bugs or mites invasion.
Because of their natural composition and lightweight, wool mattress toppers are firm in shape, durable and play an exceptional role in softening firm mattresses. The toppers tend to keep the surface cool in summers and warm in winters and can recover their shape either by steam cleaning or dry cleaning. Do remember like other woolen products, it is not advised to wash the wool mattress toppers as washing can alter the natural structure of the topper affecting its thickness and compressing the overall size.
More importantly, the toppers are loved for the cushioning that they offer and hence are preferred by those who need to add an extra layer of softness to their mattress without having to replace the mattress on the whole.
Top 10 Wool Mattress Toppers
1. Holy Lamb Organics Wool Mattress Toppers
Best known for its 100% organic fabric, this handmade topper by Holy Lamb Organics creates a natural sleeping surface on which your body would love to rest. It is designed in such a manner that is remains flat on the mattress without any shifting and this means no matter how much you toss or turn the topper will always hold its position at ease.
Some of the astounding features of this organic wool mattress topper are:
- Premium Eco-Wool Batting: The topper is created using premium eco-wool batting and this tufted in-between two layers of natural cotton fabric. This brings a lot of softness to the material and ensures that it is able to take the curves of your body, so that you can sleep for hours without any disruptions.
- Multiple Thickness: One of the best things about this wool mattress topper is that it comes in multiple thickness and this gives you the opportunity to select the ideal product according to how loft you want the surface to be.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: The topper is offered along with a one year limited manufacturer warranty that backs most of the defects that might be associated with the product.
2. Sleep & Beyond 60 by 80-Inch Organic Merino Wool Mattress Topper, Queen, Ivory
This is another organic topper from the house of Sleep & Beyond and is made suitable for all four seasons of the year. It is regarded to be an ideal choice for those who suffer from sensitivities against multiple chemicals or are looking for an extra layer of comfort to relieve pain that occurs due to rheumatism, fibromyalgia and arthritis. The essence of this topper lies in the certified Merino Wool that regulates body temperature and improves the breathability of the product.
The important characteristics of this Organic Merino Wool mattress topper are:
- Encased in cotton jacquard: The high-quality merino wool of the topper is encased in 100% organic cotton jacquard fabric, which restricts the transfer of motion across the surface and amplifies quality of sleep. Further, this reduces the chances of moisture buildup and keeps the topper the way it is for years to come.
- 1.5-inch Thick Topper: This wool topper is an healthy alternative for those who are victims of dust, beg bugs or mite allergies and are looking for a solution to overcome them. In fact, the 1.5 inch thickness of this topper supports every part of your body and allows you to cherish a comfy good night’s sleep.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: To let you shop with a peace of mind the manufacturers have come up with 1 year limited warranty on the wool mattress topper.
3. The Futon Shop 2-Inch Pure Wool Mattress Topper, Eastern King, Natural
With a life expectancy of over 10 years, the Futon Shop pure wool mattress topper is one of the strongest contenders of the list and boasts for its natural virgin chemical free wool. The topper is approximately 25 pounds and promotes optimal temperature minimizing the chances of retention of heat, while relieving tension on the various parts of the body.
The main features of this wool mattress topper designed by Futon Shop include:
- 100% All Natural Wool: The topper is structured using 100% virgin natural wool and this gives it a strong shape, durability and impressive strength. It comes along with a poly cotton case so that you can secure the topper from moisture buildup, stains, dust, debris and other components.
- 2-inch Thick: This wool mattress topper holds a thickness of two inches and thus is apt for those who are looking for a balance between softness and support. If you suffer from any sort of pain or body ache then this product can serve the purpose.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: All the mattress toppers that are manufactured by Futon Shop are backed by a limited warranty period of one year and this can be used to cover any defects or complications with the topper.
4. Bio Sleep Concept Organic Wool 3-Inch, Queen Size Mattress Topper
This deep plush organic wool mattress topper acquires fourth position on the list and is known to improve comfort for any type of mattress. The topper is made in the USA with the help of 100% natural and chemical-free wool and is encased in a beautiful cotton cover. It holds its shape, where simple airing ever now and then can revitalize the wool in no time.
The key features of this Bio Sleep Concept organic wool mattress topper are:
- Organic Wool: Like most of the products that are part of the list, even this one is based on 100% organic wool that is free from harmful chemical substrates and showcases natural resistance against microbes, bacteria and mites.
- 3-inch Thick: To give you that luxurious comfort, this wool mattress topper has a thickness of three inches and thus is meant for those who are looking for comfy support with a much-needed plush.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: If anything happens to this wool mattress topper within a year then you can take advantage of the one-year limited warranty that covers most of the issues that might occur with the topper.
5. Quilted Organic Wool Mattress Topper Size: Twin 1.5″ Thick by Sleep & Beyond
This is another product by Sleep & Beyond that allows you to experience the best of all-four seasons in one fine topper. It comes with the brands patent quilting pattern that eliminate battling of wool when you turn or toss on the topper and this even leads to superior comfort and better relief from pressure on the sensitive points of the body.
Some of the interesting characteristics of this organic wool mattress topper by Sleep & Beyond are:
- Hand filled with Wool Ganique: This topper is hand filled with the exclusive WoolMark and USDA certified superfine merino wool that is free from any form of VOCs, carcinogens and arsenic. This wool is covered in skin-friendly 100% cotton jacquard case whose yarns have been tested according to the parameters of GOTS and Oeko-Tex standards so as to make sure that the fabric is safe for infants along with adults with sensitive skin.
- 1.5-inch Thick: The thickness of the topper is about 1.5 inches and thus the brand promotes it for those who are dealing with back pain, rheumatism or arthritis. Such a thickness even regulates the temperature of the body and ensures that the topper remains warm in winters and cool in summers, creating just the required sleeping environment.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: The quality of this wool mattress topper is backed by a limited warranty period of one year and any problems that will occur within the specific period will be addressed by professionals.
6. Serta Naturally Pure Wool King Size Mattress Topper
Filled with natural wool, the Serta mattress topper comes with the guarantee of a credible brand and is great for those who aspire to sleep on 100% natural surface. No matter what the core material of your mattress might be, when you place this natural topper on them then it transforms their quality and acts as a form of barrier aiding to a healthy sleep cycle.
The one of a kind features of Serta naturally pure wool mattress topper are:
- Natural Wool With 100% Cotton Case: Wool can breathe naturally compared to other synthetic fibers and to harness the most of it, this topper is crafted from pure and natural wool that alleviates dampness and maintains suitable temperature ensuring fast and effective sleep. In addition to that, the topper is protected by a 100% cotton cover that sustains its quality of years to come.
- 1.5-inch Thickness: Similar to most of the wool mattress topper, the thickness of this product is 1.5 inches and this promotes the much-needed microclimate in the inner layers of the topper and also prevents formation of excessive humidity and regulates circulation of air.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: Purchasing wool mattress topper can be an expensive investment and to help you do that in a hassle free manner, Wolf Corporations provides one -year limited warranty on the topper.
7. Ideal Topper by Alphabet Mattress Quilted with Layers of Organic Wool and Open-Cell High Density Foam Assisted by Fitted Skirt with Elastic
This mattress topper gets its core from high-quality New Zealand wool that is 100% natural and organically grown in farms and then processed as per the strict standards of GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards). Adding this layer to your mattress provides superior allergen protection and moisture management. The topper is hand crafted and comes with fitted skirt that can be placed on the mattress easily. The elastic skirt allows the topper remain at is position even when you toss and turn, while the quilting patterns decreases the chances of wool battling.
The amazing features of this wool mattress topper manufactured by Alphabet Mattress are:
- Wool + Foam: The mattress topper combines the power of both natural wool and high density foam to offer the support that you need but that too at the fraction of the cost of a new mattress. The first layer is built on organic wool from New Zealand while the second layer with an open-cell foam so as to revitalize your old and worn out mattress.
- 3-inch Thick: The mattress topper is three inches thick, where the presence of both foam and wool enhances comfort and reduces pressure on the various pressure prone points of the body, it even keeps you dry and cool as you sleep and conforms to the structure of human body right at the moment when you rest on it.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: Now you can relive fatigue and stress after a strenuous day of work with this affordable wool mattress topper. And the best part is that it is backed by manufacturer warranty for a period of one year.
8. LC Classics LC Hotel Reversible Wool/ Cotton Mattress Topper California King
The LC Classics reversible wool mattress topper brings the luxurious comfort of hotels but without having to spend a fortune for the same. What’s amazing about the topper is the reversible design where each side of the topper is embedded with specific functions. The warmer wool is meant to yield comfortable surface while it absorbs excess heat from the body and regulates optimal temperature. The cotton improves breathability and allows you to cherish utmost comfort and support.
Some of the noticeable features of this LC Classics hotel reversible wool & cotton mattress topper are:
- 100% Pure Wool & Cotton: The topper is made from a mixture of both wool and cotton, where the inner layers are filled with 100% natural and pure wool while the outer layer is structured with cotton. This increases the support of the topper and ensures that it holds its shape effortlessly.
- 2 inch thick: The two-inch thick topper comes with double knit skirt which not only fits your mattress perfectly but at the same time banishes batting when you turn or toss on the bed. Moreover, the topper is available in an array of dimensions allowing you to choose the ideal one according to the measurements of your mattress.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: Just like other reputable manufacturers, even LC classics come up with a manufacturer warranty for a period of one year and this primarily on the common complications that you might face with the mattress topper.
9. Natura Washable Wool Topper Twin XL
The topper that makes it way in the ninth position of the list is Natura’s washable wool mattress topper that is packed with temperature regulating properties and leaves you feeling comfy and snuggles to the natural curves of the body. The crisp coolness generated by the cotton layer is yet another exceptional element of the topper and this only adds to the overall support and coolness of the mattress topper.
The main features of this washable wool topper are:
- Natural Fleece: The topper is composed of natural fleece that maintains suitable temperature on the surface of the mattress. Due to this, the topper keeps the surface cool in summers and maintains optimal temperature in winter so as to promote quality sleep and enhance your sleep cycle.
- 2-inch thick: The mattress topper comes with a thickness of two inches and this makes it apt for both adults and kids, especially those who want to add an additional layer of support to existing mattress.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: If things don’t work the way you had planned then you can make use of the one year limited manufacturer warranty so as to correct defects or other problems with the wool mattress topper.
10. Cotton Clouds Futons King Size Eco Valley Wool Topper
Regardless of the mattress that you own, you are going to need a perfect layer of support and comfort that will address the requirements of your body. This is where the natural wool mattress topper by Cotton Clouds makes it way. Made in the USA, this is an organic wool mattress topper that is free from hazardous chemicals or toxins and does not emit any form of volatile compounds. The product is completely handcrafted and this gives it an outstanding precision and quality.
Some of the innovative elements of this eco valley wool mattress topper are:
- Eco Valley Wool + Organic Cotton: This topper is manufactured by Cotton Clouds and combines the power of eco valley wool with organic cotton for advance support and superior comfort. The thick inner layers of wool present in the mattress prevents batting of wool even during frequent toss and turn.
- 3-inch thick: In order to take your sleeping experience to the next level, this wool mattress topper comes with a thickness of three inches that feels soft as cloud, so that when you sleep on them you almost feel like floating on the mid-air. This is possible because the mattress topper is able to distribute the weight of your body evenly.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty: The wool mattress topper is backed by a one year limited warranty and this shows the confidence of the manufacturer on their products.
Pros and Cons of Wool Mattress Toppers
Most of the mattress toppers have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, and wool mattress topper is no exception. Therefore, before you make them part of your bedding it’s important to know more about the pros and cons that they have in store for you.
Pros of Wool Mattress Toppers
Having wool mattress toppers for your mattress can have a world of benefits and some of these are explained below:
1. Proper Insulation
Since wool mattress toppers are mostly made from wool and cotton, they are able to provide balanced thermal insulation i.e. the surface remains warm in winters and it becomes cool in summers. This can be helpful in not one but two different ways:
No Body Perspiration: You will never be able to sleep properly if you sweat due to the body heat that comes out form the mattress. To overcome this, you can consider placing a wool mattress topper on them which is absorb body heat and then allow it to escape through circulation of air.
Reduces Heating and Cooling Expenses: As stated, wool keeps the sleeping surface cool during hot summer and warm in chilly winter nights and this indeed saves you from the unwanted heating and cooling expenses and thus leaves an impact on your energy bills as well.
Majority of the ingredients that are utilized for manufacturing of wool mattress topper are 100% natural. In fact, there are certain brands that make use of only natural components and plus they are handmade and this restricts the incorporation of any chemical compound and keeps them free from allergens that are usually found in synthetic mattress toppers.
Due to little or no presence of chemicals, wool mattress topper does not emit any noticeable odor and can be used with a few hours of unpacking. Just place on the mattress and use it after 24 hours so that its fits the shape beautifully.
The breathability of the wool mattress topper is no secret. As a matter fact, contrary to the belief that most of the people have natural wool based mattress toppers does not lead to retention of heat rather it just spread it uniformly around the surface and maintains proper temperature. When you become too warm then the topper has the ability to extract moisture away from the body and then it releases it back into the air. Because of this wool mattress topper can be used all year round in all temperatures and climates.
Living with chronic pain can be difficult, and most of the people dread getting to sleep as they know that they will wake up with more pain that what they are had originally laid with. Wool mattress topper does its best to relieve pain for those who are suffering with fibromyalgia and arthritis. It boosts the quality of sleep by yielding to the contours from the head to the feet. With this the weight gets diffused uniformly, thus less weight is concentrated on the pressure prone points such as shoulders and hips.
Wool as a material is fire resistant and renewable. This means even when the mattress topper wears out you can recycle and renew the entire topper making it an eco-friendly option when compared to others.
Cons of Wool Mattress Toppers
Like other products, there are few cons of wool mattress topper and these include:
1. Low Motion Isolation
Compared to the counterparts, wool mattress topper is unable to restrict transfer of motion effectively. This can be a concern especially if you sleep with your partner who turns and tosses often as this might disrupt your sleep. One way to avoid this is to count on thick wool mattress topper that come with a guarantee of limiting transfer of movement so that you can sleep peacefully without any complications.
2. A Bit Expensive
Without doubt, wool mattress toppers can be a bit expensive option and thus must be selected carefully. However, they are an excellent form of investment as there are certain companies that ensure that toppers stand for a period of almost 12 years, delivering the comfort and support that you need with absolutely zero compromises.
Wool Mattress Topper Buying Guide
When you are out there looking for the ultimate wool mattress toppers around there are certain aspects that you need to take care of, as these will help you realize which one will turn out to be a suitable option for your mattress and requirements of your body.
1. Consider The Quality of Wool
The quality of wool that is used for the making of mattress toppers is not the same, instead it varies from a particular manufacturer to another. Focus on the characteristics of the wool and whether its processing has been certified by regulatory organizations or not. Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) is one such certification give to companies who process their wool according to the guidelines stipulated by GOTS.
Presence of this certification on a product or brand means that:
- There are no chemicals or harmful compounds used for the process of extraction
- The wool meets the highest standards and is able to serve its purpose
- The final product is organic and 100% natural
Only those companies who qualify the important parameters of GOTS are approved and then certified by the organization.
2. Type of Cooling
Most of the people who invest on mattress topper consider cooling to be a major point. This is because your comfort is somehow associated with how cool your mattress topper can apparently keep you without letting the hot body temperature come your way, so why not make it a part of the selection process as well.
Understand more about the various technologies that are adapted by the manufacturer to revamp the cooling abilities of wool mattress topper. While doing this you must realize that wool in itself is able to keep the surface cool naturally, while this can be enhanced with the use of advance and innovative methods.
3. Topper Density & Softness
The topper density and softness is as essential as its quality. Because at the end of the day, you have to make sure that the product which you choose is not the best amongst the best but at the same time it satisfies the expectations that you have from it. So, when you are sure about the quality and cooling of the topper the next step is to work on its density and softness.Remember: both density and softness of wool mattress topper work hand-in-hand but
Remember: both density and softness of wool mattress topper work hand-in-hand but apparently they are two different components.
The density of the wool mattress topper can be somewhere from one inch to four inch thick depending on the manufacturing company that you choose, while the softness of topper is influenced by the materials used. Wool and cotton both provide a perfect balance of comfort and plush and thus remain to be one of the most preferred option.
Buying topper without specified warranty period is probably the worst thing to do. Even when you have faith on the quality of products that the manufacturer provides make sure that they are warranted for at least one year so that any defects or problems can be rectified without you have to spend too much for them same.
After all, the though wool mattress topper are a great form of long-term investment but the initial cost is a bit on the higher side so being assured about it through the warranty period will always count.
5. Care Requirements
Wool mattress topper are often available along with cotton covers that seal the topper from every side and ensure that debris, dust or dirt does not penetrate into them. This is the reason why they need minimal care and maintenance. Hence, when considering the care requirements do know more about the quality of cotton or poly cotton covers provided with them.