After a hectic day, the sight of comfy bed almost seems like heaven. In fact, there is absolutely nothing in this world that can compensate to a comfortable and good night’s sleep. This period of rest for 7 hours not only rejuvenates your senses but it even prepares you for the day ahead. Hence, most of the people tend to invest on the best products that would enhance the quality of their sleep to a greater extent. And one such product that is part of their list is “memory foam mattress toppers”.
What is memory foam?
Just as the name suggests, a memory foam mattress topper is a form of an extra layer placed on the top of the mattress in order to provide protection and comfort. They are available in a wide range of shapes, sizes, materials, and thickness, ensuring that you are able to identify the best match for your bed conveniently.
A major advantage of having these toppers is that they tend to expand the lifespan of your mattress by decreasing the pressure on springs, thus delaying general wear or sagging. The memory foam mattress topper along with regular flipping of the mattress will add to its durability.
Unlike the usual mattress, the toppers are lightweight and come with replaceable covers. This means they act as a form of barrier to stains, moisture, and dust that might penetrate into the mattress. You can even transfer them from one bed to another or just roll them for an upcoming trip as well.
Besides the versatility, the memory foam toppers are known for their comfort, after all, flexible and soft fillings can have a huge difference. If your mattress is able to offer firm support yet fails miserably in case of softness then having a combination of both can help you achieve a perfect balance.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper Reviews
Cloud9 Gel Queen 3 Inch 100% Gel Infused Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Cloud9 Gel Visco Elastic is a one of a kind mattress topper that features high-end support, relieving pain from the pressure points of the human body. The foam toppers are designed in such a manner ensuring the user is able to cherish a comfortable sleep with the comfort cooling technology. What’s better is that the ventilation is improved and this reduces heat retention so that you can experience quality sleep without any hindrance.
Some of the key features of Cloud9 Gel Queen Visco Elastic foam mattress that are worth a mention include:
- Lightweight: Compared to the conventional toppers, this one comes with advance Visco Elastic material that makes it lightweight and easy to handle than other bulky foam mattress toppers.
- Exclusive Formula: The beauty of Cloud9 Gel Queen Visco Elastic memory foam mattress topper is its unique formula that almost leaves the user with a feeling of floating on the cloud, sailing towards their dreams.
- 20 Year Limited Warranty: From the house of Cloud9 bedding solutions, this topper comes with a limited warranty for 20 years which clearly reflects the belief of manufacturer over the durability of the product. Though the average lifespan of toppers is considered to be about five years, yet this topper has it to last for years to come.
LUCID 3-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Lucid Gel memory foam topper is equipped with open cell design that provides ample scope for natural ventilation compared to the closed counterparts. More ventilation obviously reduces the unpleasant feeling of heat retention. In addition to that, the foam present in the topper is infused with a advance plush gel material that not only captures heat but at the same time controls the temperature making it comfy, airy and soft.
The main features of this memory foam mattress are:
- Plush Gel Technology: Gel is not something that is often associated with toppers, but with the introduction and popularity of this one, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that this technology is here to stay.
- Ventilated Design: The ventilated design of Lucid Gel memory foam topper increases the airflow, keep the sleep surface not only comfortable but breathable as well. With this there is uniform distribution of heat.
- 3 Years Limited Warranty: Lucid is known for its incredible memory foam that comes along with several evenly sized space holes meant to regulate the temperature of the mattress, keeping it comfortable in every climate. To help you make the most of your purchase, this topper comes with a limited warranty for a period of 3 years.
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer King Mattress Topper
Though most of the memory foams make use of one piece design, the topper created by Sleep Innovations is structured with dual layer, where two separate layers are meant for enhancing comfort and ventilation. The one layer present at the bottom is similar to a pillow top, while the second layer is embedded with a thick memory foam pad. Since both the materials are sandwiched together, the down layer (pillow top) supports airflow while the top layer (memory foam) offers therapeutic support.
However, it is advised to go for at least 72 hours of decompression before you make use of the Sleep Innovation toppers.
Some of the exceptional range of features that it provides are:
- Temperature Sensitive Cooling: Both the layers of the mattress measure about four inches, which keeps it in the category of medium comfort to medium soft. The memory foam layer has an advance cooling gel which is temperature-sensitive and is able to decrease the excess amount of heat retention that often happens in the foam layer.
- Snug Fit Cover: Though the entire mattress topper cannot be soaked in water, yet the fabric section can be easily washed and then dried without any complications. For the other side, you must consider using commercial bed freshener or other homemade solutions to prevent bad odor and bacterial buildup.
- 10 Years Limited Warranty: The topper holds its shape for a long period of time and is available along with manufacturer’s warranty for a period of 10 years and this allows you to make the use of it with a peace of mind.
Milliard 2-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Milliard is a two-inch thick foam mattress topper that is infused with gel beads in order to decrease retention of heat and at the same time ensures that the natural body heat accumulates only at the top without escaping to surrounding areas. This creates a comfortable sleeping temperature resolving the heat problem that most of the people have to face when they use memory foam. The topper is not paired with any other material and it comes in standard sizes such as twin, queen, full and king.
Now, the gel in the foam is features natural hypoallergenic and anti-fungal properties, making it ideal for those who suffer from allergies, asthma or even those who are a victim of joint or back pain. Hence, Milliard memory foam mattress topper provides the best of support along with therapeutic characteristics.
Some of the noticeable features of this memory foam mattress topper are:
- Natural touch: As stated, Millard guarantees their toppers to be 100% naturally hypoallergenic and are able to resist the formation of mites, bacteria, molds and other forms of allergens. Plus, the gel beads of the topper dissipate heat and keep the topper cool throughout the night for that natural and comfortable feel.
- Extra Cover: This topper comes along with a cover that ensures it does not slip away from the desired area when placed on the mattress. As a result of which, you will no longer have to move the topper physically each and every day in order to adjust it.
- Soft Feel: At last, the Milliard 2″ Gel memory foam mattress is known for their soft and luxurious feel that is like no other.
DreamDNA 4lb Queen Size 3″ American Made Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
There is a reason why most of the people love to top their mattress with memory foam and i.e. this material works wonders in reducing the pressure on the various parts of the body. DreamDNA Visco Elastic Mattress Topper takes this concept to the next level with environmentally friendly processing so that you can sleep better. The 4lbs density of the foam guards your mattress and provides restful, supportive and comfortable areas covering up even the sagging spaces of the surface.
Certain features that you must look after include:
- American Made: The DreamDNA Visco Elastic Mattress Topper is purely American made product and this guarantees the quality and effectiveness that you can expect from it. The topper has open cell technology that keeps it cool at night, transferring the heat of your body evenly throughout the mattress.
- No Infusions: This topper is made from 100% memory foam without any sort of infusions that keeps the sleeping surface firm. This can be ideal for those who suffer from joint disorders or need support while they sleep.
- 5 Year Limited Warranty: The mattress topper is certified with PURGreen and this indicates that the product does not have any form of ozone-depleting substances or any other harmful toxins at the time when it was manufactured. Besides this, it comes with a limited manufacturer warranty for a period of 5 years.
LuxurestLLC Memory Foam Mattress Topper Gel Infused 4 Inch
Life without adequate sleep can be difficult and this fact is perfectly understood by Luxurest who brings to you its exclusive range of memory foam mattress toppers that are meant for amplifying the quality of your sleep and securing the structural integrity of the mattress. Each and every sort of pain such as muscle, joint, back or arthritis can be relieved when you sleep on the surface of this topper. With this, you can wake up energized with an optimistic mindset to face challenges of the day.
Luxurest memory foam topper beholds a wide range of features and some of them are:
- Comfortable & Cool: Like most of the toppers that are part of this list, even this one is adored for its comfortable and cool feel, so that you do not turn and toss in search of cool places on the mattress. The cooling technology distributes heat across the surface area and maintains an optimal temperature at every spot.
- Therapeutic benefits: Whether you are unable to sleep due to stress or body ache, each and every problem is addressed by the topper, as it features special support and therapeutic benefits to improve your sleep cycle.
- Money back guarantee: The topper comes along with a 30-day money back guarantee offer and this means if you are not satisfied with the results then you always have the option to return it. This indeed speaks volumes about the confidence of the manufacturer on the products that they deliver.
ViscoSoft 3.5 lbs. Density 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam Queen Mattress Topper
ViscoSoft is a high-density topper which turns out to be an eco-friendly option when you are considering to add another layer of comfort to the bed. This topper is engineered to remain responsive, airy and comfortable so that you can enjoy proper sleep without any disturbances. It is ventilated across the surface and this leads to an effective flow of air and makes the fabric breathable. The topper provides ample support and this adjusts according to the weight and movement of the body.
The key features of ViscoSoft 3lbs are:
- Gel Infused Memory Foam: The 3.5-pound foam of the mattress is infused with a clever gel technology that keeps temperature comfortable and regulates it as per your body needs. This minimizes heat retention and allows the fabric to remain cool for a long period of time.
- Slip Resistant Cover: The topper has a plush resistant cover which is crafted from 30% rayon and 70% Bamboo. The bottom has elastic straps and slip resistant mesh which secures the topper from every corner. This cover is removal, can be washed and is hypoallergenic.
- 60 Day Guarantee: The toppers are backed by a 60-day superior guarantee that covers almost every aspect of the product. Along with this, it has a limited warranty for a period of 3 years, so that you will never have to compromise with the quality and durability of the topper.
Zinus 4 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Zinus memory foam mattress brings the right balance of comfort and support that sustains no matter in which position you sleep. Crafted from the finest quality of foam, this topper is loved for its content, performance, and durability. An important element of this product is the revolutionary BioFoam that replaces petroleum that you might identify in conventional memory foams with natural mesh to keep the topper fresh and free from unwanted odor.
The invaluable features of this memory foam mattress topper are:
- Base Support Foam: The topper is divided into two different components, one is the 2″ gel foam that is meant for cooling comfort and the other is 2″ base support that aids in durability and therapeutic abilities of the product.
- CertiPUR-US Certified: The BioFoam found in the topper has gained CertiPUR-US certification and this allows you to rejoice hours of relaxing sleep without having to worry about the toxic chemicals or volatile compounds that affect the human body.
- 5 Year Warranty: Each and every topper by Zinus is accompanied with a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty that covers most of the defects on the topper so that you are able to use it in a hassle-free manner.
Novaform Gel Memory Foam 3 Inch Mattress Topper
Novaform Gel memory foam topper is regarded to be a good buy by most of the people due to its delicate line and impeccable comfort level. Similar to most of the gel infused toppers, this one embraces the power of gel beads that are meant to regulate suitable temperature with optimal ventilation across the surface. So, with this the body heat is distributed on the surface, keeping the area cooling and aiding in quality sleep.
If you want to get rid of the smell from the topper then you will probably have to wait for a few days before using it. To do this, just place them in the yard or the porch and you will notice that within a period two to three days the odor will vanish from the topper.
>Some interesting features of Novaform Gel memory foam mattress are:
- Egyptian Cotton: Denoted to be a specialist of bedding solutions manufactured by Novaform, Egyptian cotton is finer, longer and durable compared to the traditional cotton and the best part is that they remain cooler than them. Moreover, the due to fine yarn and superior thread count, the fabric made from this cotton is stronger too.
- Stain Release Technology: The topmost layer of the topper has a stain guard finish that prevents the formation of stains and restores the appeal of topper for ages. This even restricts the formation of dust, bacterial, fungal or microbial buildup and so that you can sleep comfortably without having to invest too much time in the maintenance of the topper.
- 10 Years Limited Warranty: The confidence of its manufacturer on the quality of the topper can be seen in the 10 years limited warranty.
SleepJoy 2-inch Biofresh Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Made from natural plant materials, the SleepJoy ventilated memory foam mattress is a dense, soft and therapeutic topper that makes sleeping a joyous experience. The foam of the topper combines natural oil-based materials and ingredients for zero side-effects and promoting ventilation across the surface.
Another incredible property is that it does not have any odor and this means you can use it in 24 hours after opening the package.
The must know features of SleepJoy Biofresh Gel Memory Foam Mattress include:
- Patent Process: The company makes use of a patent process for infusing Biofresh gel with the memory foam and this is something that is done without the use of any harmful chemicals. You will be able to feel every part of the gel beads as they come up with support, personalized comfort and cool temperature that your body always craves of.
- Nano-Tex Cool Comfort: The cover of the topper is powered by nano-tex cool comfort technology so that it is able to keep the surface cool and improve the lifespan of the topper simultaneously. The cover has a zipper and can be washed and dried from time to time, according to your usage.
- 5 Year Warranty: SleepJoy neutralizes the smell of memory foam with the help of natural oils so that the topper is ready to use right after its out from the package. Still, if you have sensitive olfactory nerve then you can wait for at least 24 hours, as stated earlier before placing the topper. Plus, the best part is that the product is backed by manufacturer warranty for a period of 5 years.
Pros & Cons of Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
With time the normal wear and tear of mattress can turn out to be uncomfortable. However, purchasing a new mattress all of sudden can be expensive decision and even out of your budget. Instead of opting for a brand new mattress altogether it is wise to cover them up with a memory foam topper. Now, toppers come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages that are enlisted below.
The Pros of Using A Memory Foam Topper
There are innumerable benefits of making memory foam based toppers part of your bed and they are:
- Joint and Back Support
The concentrates of mattress remain heavy on one side and this affects the posture of your legs, hips, spine and shoulders. The topper supports your body weight evenly, ensuring the natural alignment is maintained even while you sleep.
The foam layer of the top sits on the mattress and plays an important role in supporting and preventing you from sinking way too down.
- Relives Pressure on Body Points
Another crucial benefit that somehow distinguishes memory foam mattress over springs, poly foam or fiber is their response to the pressure. The toppers are primarily designed to absorb pressure on various parts of the human body, which it does by taking the natural shape of the person who is sleeping on it and distributes the weight across the surface.
>Memory foam never resists the body weight (squishing off the tissues), rather it accommodates the curves and creates a sensation of almost being weightless. The more volume of memory in the topper, the denser it will be and the pronounced its effects are going to be.
- Limits Transfer of Motion
Toppers are able to isolate the motion which is essential, especially when you sleep with a pet or partner. In case of the mattress, other person getting out of the bed, or rolling over can disturb the sleep of another because the springs tend to bounce back with every motion.
Since memory foam mattress absorbs pressure, they do not conduct motion allowing you to sleep peacefully.
- Provides Superior Longevity
Mattresses remain to be a major purchase of common households and can cost from several hundred to almost thousand dollars. Considering the cost, people aspire their mattress to stay the way it is for a long period of time, expecting years of good sleep on it.
Though there can be the difference in terms of quality among the brands of mattress toppers, but memory foam offers superior protection as a result of which the mattress does not remain prone to sagging or other complains that may arise within a few years of use.
- Easy to Compare
One can compare the features, quality, and price of the topper mattress in order to decide which one will be suitable for their bed. This makes the entire process as simple as it could be and helps you in choosing the one that meets the requirements that you have.
Cons of Memory Foam Matters Topper
Despite of being a short-term demerit, the strong smell of chemicals is often associated with the use of memory foam toppers. Most of the buyers describe this odor to be intolerable during the initial days of usage, fortunately it fades away with time.
In fact, proper airing for a period of two to three days is more than enough to get rid of this faint odor from the toppers.
- Heat Retention
Heat has been one of the major con of memory foam mattress topper, where over 15% of the users mention that they experienced heat while sleeping on them. Sleeping on a hot bed can be uncomfortable because cool temperature yields productive sleep cycle.
For this, you can focus on those toppers that address the problem and come up with incredible solutions such as ventilated fabrics, gel beads, and the breathable surface so as to dissipate the heat at a faster pace.
- Low-Quality Foams Are Not Durable
The durability of memory foam is above average, however low density, lower quality can have a huge impact on it. Typically, but not most of the time, these types of toppers are cheaper and come with a shorter period of warranty.
- No Relief in Case of Sleep Breathing Disorders
Those who suffer from common sleep breathing disorders like sleeping apnea believe that toppers might come to their rescue. However, this may not be necessarily true, as the high density and heat retention may worsen the condition.
So, if you are a victim of such disorders consult with a professional first and then decide whether memory foam toppers should be part of your bedding or not.
What to look for when buying a memory foam mattress topper?
By now you must have realized that every memory foam mattress is not the same. They differ significantly from one another on various parameters and when it comes to selecting the best amongst the best, there are certain things that you need to look after.
- The Right Type
The quality of the topper will become a part of the user’s sleep cycle for years, so one has to ensure that it is durable. PU foam is a basic ingredient, yet it is not supportive in itself and this is the reason why manufactures make use of specialized gels so as to enhance their viscosity. This results into memory foam. Toppers are constructed in multiple layers, where each one of them has a specific purpose such as level of comfort, support, and ventilation.
- Foam Density
Some prefer to have firm mattress toppers while others need softer ones that take the shape of their body, clearly, the comfort that you expect from the product is based upon the density of the topper that you choose. So, if you are someone who is suffering from severe pain then the firmer and supportive versions might turn out to be an ideal pick, while if you want to relive pressure points on the body then the softer ones can do the trick.
The common options that you are going to come across include:
2-3 Pound Dense: These are great for children, while toppers below three inches are not recommended for the average person.
3-4 Pound Dense: These are designed for adults and project a good balance between support and softness.
4-5 Pound Dense: These are meant for persons with a bigger build and even for those who are in search of firmer options.
- The Perfect Fit
Memory foam mattress toppers are available in various sizes and this allows you to choose the one that is suitable for your existing mattress. For example, if you have a queen size mattress then you must consider purchasing a queen size topper. In fact, there are cases where people buy toppers only for their side because their partner does not require them.
- Consider Certifications
Manufactures make it a point to abide by the strict guidelines so that you will never have to give a second thought about quality. However, there are certain brands that import their products from different regions of the world and this is where certification has a crucial role to play. You need to have least one of the below-mentioned certification in the topper that you are about to buy:
- CertiPUR-US: Common certification given to the toppers in the US when they meet the US standard of manufacturing processes. This certification indicates a low amount of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), the absence of formaldehyde and does not have any form of ozone depleters.
- Oeko-Tex: The norms of this internationally acclaimed certification is almost similar to that of CertiPUR-US and it must taken into consideration when the product is manufactured outside the US.
- Warranty & Maintenance
The mattress toppers made from memory foam can absorb water and thus should be not be machine washed. What you must realize is that the toppers require an equal amount of care and attention as the mattress and for this, you need to understand the suitable cleaning methods. As, if not handled appropriately then the topper can be punctured or torn.
Most memory foam mattress toppers are warranted at least for a period of 2 years, giving you the confidence to use it with a peace of mind.
- Covers Included
Most of the toppers (as seen on the list) are sold along with covers, while for some you may have to purchase them separately from the supplier. These covers are generally made from pure cotton fabric quilted into a beautiful pattern and can be placed on the top of the topper and can be replaced or removed from time to time.
Before committing yourself to a purchase, you need to have a budget, get your priorities checked and then work according to that. Remember: considering the price of the topper is essential but never overlook quality over cheap alternatives. Rather try to strike the right balance between both the price and even the quality of memory foam mattress topper so that at the end of the day you can grab a value for money deal.